In honor of the release of Snow White and the Huntsman this weekend, I came up with a quick quiz for you to see how much you know about the 1812 Brothers Grimm version of the Snow White fairy tale.
1. What were the names of the dwarves?
a) Blick, Flick, Glick, Snick, Plick, Whick, and Quee
b) Grumpy, Happy, Sneezy, Sleepy, Bashful, Dopey, and Doc
c) They didn’t have names
2. How many times does the Queen try to kill Snow White?
3. How does the Queen convince Snow White to eat the apple?
a) she disguises herself as an old woman
b) the Queen shoves it down her throat
c) the Queen eats part of the apple herself
4. What brings Snow White back to life?
a) the prince’s kiss
b) the death of the Queen
c) the apple falls out of her throat
The answers are below the movie trailer.
The answers to all of them are c
1. The names in a) are from the 1912 Broadway play Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and the names in b) are from Disney’s 1937 film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
2. The Queen makes four attempts on Snow White’s life. The first is when she sends the huntsman to cut out her heart, but he takes pity on her and brings back a boar’s heart instead. Next the Queen dresses as a peddler to sell Snow White stay-laces. The Queen laces Snow White up so tight she can’t breathe, but the dwarves rescue her in time. In the third attempt, the Queen disguises herself as an old woman and combs Snow White’s hair with a poison comb. The dwarves come to her rescue again. The fourth and final attempt with the poisoned apple is successful.
3. The Queen is actually dressed as a farmer’s wife when she brings the apple. She cuts a slice for herself and eats only the unpoisoned white part.
4. The prince’s kiss is a later addition. In the 1812 version, the prince falls in love with Snow White even though she’s dead, and asks the dwarves for the coffin. As his servants are carrying it away, they trip on a root and dislodge the apple from her throat.
How did you do on the quiz? Is anyone else looking forward to this movie as much as I am?